There is no doubt hiring movers will be expensive no matter how far or how much you move. Despite the expense of hiring a moving company being quite high, many will tell you it’s well worth it. Relocating is a time-consuming and physically exhausting process.
How much does a moving company cost? There is no denying that moving is exhausting, time-consuming, and stressful, but a professional moving company can make your life easier. An average move costs $1,400 nationwide, with costs ranging from $800 to $2,500. Please note, however, that these prices are for a 2-man moving team moving up to 100 miles. During long-distance moves, costs rise from approximately $2,200 to $5,700.
However, here are some factors to consider when choosing movers, including the average cost of local and long-distance moves. Professional moving companies can relieve you of much of that stress.
What Factors Determine Moving Costs? [All Answers Are Here]
The type of moving you are attempting can be divided into two categories. Firstly, do it yourself (DIY), and secondly, hire a professional moving company. Well, let’s take a closer look at both processes.
How Much Does A DIY Move Cost?
Choosing a professional moving company can be expensive. However, if you attempt to (DIY) do it yourself, you probably won’t be able to save cash. If you plan on moving, you will likely need a transport truck or another vehicle. Do you know how much it costs?
Moving trucks are also priced differently according to your location, your destination, as well as how long you will require the truck. This is what the average cost looks like:
From 1 To 2 Bedrooms: Depending on where you’re going, local moves can cost as little as $130, and long-distance moves can cost up to $1,600.
3 Bedrooms: For moving 3 bedrooms locally, moving trucks are available for as low as $140. The cost of long-distance calls can reach almost $1,800.
More Than 4 Bedrooms: Based on the size of your belongings and the type of vehicle you rent, you can expect to pay between $190 to $2,000 and more.
Be Careful That :
- The truck will probably need fuel, and you will have to pay any tolls and other fees you may incur.
- Additionally, movers know how to pack and load their trucks efficiently.
- Therefore, you may need to move some items around before moving into a new house.
- Also, crews may provide their own packing supplies, like bubble wrap and blankets, to protect your specialty products in the truck.
Local Moving Company Cost
It is technically defined as a move within a state, commonly known as a local move. What are the moving costs for local residential moving services in Rockville? Our calculations indicate that an average local move costs $1,250, based on a 1,500-pound move from two to three bedrooms. Those who relocate will likely need fewer movers if they move to less than two or three bedrooms, which will help save money on labor.
Local moves or commercial movers in Rockville are often priced flatly per hour, but state-by-state definitions vary as to what constitutes a local, hourly move. Some states, for instance, charge based on the weight of a shipment when a customer is moving more than 50 miles instead of an hourly rate when moving more than 50 miles. Please read up on your state’s moving regulations first, though, since every state has its regulations.
Any moving company you contact should explain the difference between a local relocation and a long-distance relocation within your state when in doubt. Several local moving companies offer flat rates for local moves in addition to the hourly rate option. It is usually calculated by multiplying the estimated number of moving hours times the company’s hourly rate.
Long Distance Moving Services
Long Distance moving services defined as a state to state moving services. An interstate move is one where you move across state lines. Do cross-state moves cost more?
A long-distance move costs an average of $2,245, assuming a weight of 3,750 pounds and a distance of 500 miles.
In contrast to local moves, long-distance moves are mostly calculated by their weight. Costs are also affected by travel, packing services, and insurance.
The moving company should provide an estimate of the moving costs. Ask for a binding estimate that will not exceed the price, as this will ensure you won’t be surprised by the final cost. Our best long distance movers give you long distance moving experiences.
Moving Costs : Factors To Consider
1. The Moving of Add-ons
In addition to the number of movers involved (labor costs), the services required, such as furniture disassembly and reassembling, and any add-on items provided by the movers such as a stretch wrap, felt pads, and mattress bags will influence the cost of hiring movers. You should check with the original quote to see if these add-ons are included.
2. Move Supplies
Make sure to purchase moving supplies before you move. You will need to include cardboard boxes, plastic bins, plastic wrap/packing paper, and any other things you will need for the move in your calculations. If you want to find out how many supplies you need, check our Moving Box Calculator.
3. Date of Move
Although you may not think it, the specific date of your move can affect your moving costs. The following guidelines can help you decide when to move :
- Morning is the best time to move.
- Do not move over the weekend. The high demand for movers on Saturdays and Sundays may add to your moving costs. Generally, moving during the weekdays can be more affordable.
- Since leases tend to start and end at the beginning and end of the month, it is best to aim for a move in the middle of the month when there is less demand.
- Move as early in the year as possible if you can. May through early September are prime moving months. Families usually move during this time due to school schedules and activities.
- This is also a time when students leave for the summer or return to school. During this time frame, moving company rates tend to be higher due to high demand.
4. Fees for Travel
When moving long-distance, travel costs can mount quickly. The moving quote should take into account travel costs. The time required to travel between houses A and B is included in these fees. Fuel costs are also included. Moving locally typically involves a travel fee equal to one hour of work.
5. Coverage of Liabilities and Valuations
You may want to purchase some liability coverage if you are working with a moving company. There are several levels of coverage offered by moving companies, including :
- 60 cents per pound of cargo liability is covered by Basic Released Value Protection.
- The hourly rate will include this type of bare-minimum coverage for local moves.
Make sure you budget for gratuity as well when estimating moving company costs. It is common for customers to reward movers after a job well done. Moves that involve heavy pieces of furniture and boxes are not easy. The company will likely want a tip if it showed up on time and moved your belongings with the utmost care. Tips should be given as follows :
- Tipping is generally considered the industry standard of 5 percent of the total moving bill. Tip the movers equally so that the total is divided up between them. A move that costs $2,000 and four movers cost you $100 (5 percent) – so you should tip each mover $25.
- Consider the complexity and distance of the move when tipping based on a flat fee instead of a percentage. $20 is a suitable tip for local moves. It is appropriate to give the mover a tip of $30 to $40 if the move involves steep stairs or heavy lifting. Depending on how involved he is, you may want to tip the foreman or driver more during long-distance moves – anywhere between $50 and $100.
- Individuals give different tips. It would be best if you tipped a mover based on your budget and level of satisfaction with the service. Before moving day, make sure to grab cash from an ATM if you intend to tip the movers.
Tips To Reduce Moving Costs
The following 5 tips will help you save money and cut costs when hiring professional movers :
Get Rid Of Unused Belongings Before Moving
Purging your belongings beforehand will ultimately reduce your moving costs since they are typically based on the weight of your belongings (for long distances) and the hourly rate you pay (for local moves). Because items will weigh more when you have more to move and will take more time to load and unload, the more items you have to move. You can find tips on how to rid yourself of unwanted items here.
Label Your Boxes Clearly And Pack Them Yourself
It may be convenient to have movers pack your boxes, but it can be quite costly. Our recommendation is to pack your own boxes before the movers arrive to save money. When loading and unloading items, clearly label the boxes to save time.
Take Advantage Of DMV MOVERS LLC’s Moving Supplies Discounts
You’ll likely have to purchase moving supplies unless you can find free boxes. You can still save a lot of money by visiting our online box center instead of paying excessive prices for boxes and packing supplies. Use reputable moving supply vendors to save time and money.
Pick A Moving Date & Time That Are Less Expensive
As previously mentioned, hiring a professional moving company during peak moving season or over the weekend is going to increase your moving costs. It is typically cheaper to move during the fall and winter to move on a weekday. Here’s more about when the best time is to move.
Compare Moving Quotes From Several Companies
By interviewing multiple moving companies, you can be sure you’re getting the best possible price for the best service. At least two different moving companies should be contacted before signing a contract. Here are some tips for interviewing movers when requesting estimates.
Here’s How You Can Save Money When Moving
At first glance, moving costs may seem intimidating, particularly for long distance moves. You can reduce your moving costs in a variety of ways. If you are planning to move, you can save money by using the tips below.
- The off-season is the best time to move. The summer is a busy time for moving, so prices are higher during this time. Consider moving during the winter, fall, or spring when moving companies may offer special offers and incentives.
- Move midweek. People typically work Monday to Friday, making weekends the best time for a move. Moving during the week when there are fewer customers could save you money.
- Donate or dispose of old items. Moving costs increase as you move more. Organize and sort your belongings & furniture, recycle what’s unwanted, and dispose of what’s broken.
- Be sure to pack everything yourself. Rather than paying movers to pack your stuff, you can save money by packing yourself.
- Materials can be purchased locally. The cost of packing supplies is a premium charged by moving companies. Consider local suppliers that offer bulk packing supplies, as you will probably need more compared to what you think.
- Get free boxes. To reduce the weight of your items, look for empty boxes at your workplace or nearby stores that do not need them.
- Put your suitcases to use. Put clothing, shoes, and personal possessions in your suitcases, which you will need during the relocation process.
- You should save the TV box. When possible, save the tv box from your new TV. In the future, it can be safely moved this way.
- Be sure to read the contract thoroughly. Pay attention to what you’re actually paying for. Depending on how much you have to move, an hourly rate or flat rate may be a better option.
- All moving receipts should be saved. In the event that you move, particularly for a job, the expenses of moving might be deducted when you file your taxes.
- Get started as soon as possible. It’s best not to rush around looking for cheap supplies just before the deadline. Time and money can be saved by collecting quotes and supplies prior to using them.
- Only use movers for large items. Whenever you are tight on cash and need help, hire movers only to move your appliances, furniture, and heavy items.
- Consult several companies for quotes. The lowest quote isn’t necessarily the best, especially if it comes from a company that is not reputable. Still, look for companies that can provide the services you require at an affordable price.
Moving Company Alternatives
Are you considering moving? Remember that while DIY moves are much less expensive than hiring movers, they could still end up costing you in other ways (such as lost work time and commitments). Consider carefully which moving method best suits your lifestyle and schedule before making a decision. There are three alternative options to hiring a full-service moving company that DIYers should consider.
=> Hiring A Moving Truck
It is possible to save thousands of dollars by loading your moving truck. To give an idea, U-Haul’s largest moving truck holds up to four bedrooms and costs $40 per week. Additional charges may apply for add-ons, supplies, and fuel.
=> Moving Containers On Wheels
An alternative to full-service movers is to use portable moving containers. Depending on the size and length of rental, portable moving containers cost different amounts. It’s best to shop around before renting a container since prices vary among companies.
The container company will pack and move your boxes, and you only need to pack your belongings. One of the most popular moving container companies is PODS, which makes U-Pack ReloCubes, and United Mayflower provides a container, while Door-to-Door Storage contracts are a regular item at U-Haul as well as 1-800-PACK-RAT.
=> Involving Family And Friends
The option to enlist the help of family and friends is always available if they’re willing and able to help with the move. Following the move, you can reward them with a gift certificate, pizza, or wine. Following are some guidelines on how to ask your friends for help moving.
Frequently Asked Questions
- For a local move, how much do movers charge?
It costs an average of $1,250 to move locally or approximately 7,500 pounds for a 2 to 3 bedroom home. Whether a move is a local or long distance is determined by the movers’ hourly rate. In addition to long-distance moves, rates also fluctuate according to the season and demand.
2. What is the cost of moving long distances?
A long-distance move costs around $4,890 on average for a two or three bedroom house with roughly 7,500 pounds and a distance of 1000 miles. In contrast to local moves, long-distance moves are generally priced according to their weight. The other factors that affect cost are gas prices, labor costs, distance traveled, packing services, as well as insurance.
3. Renting a moving truck: how much does it cost?
Moving trucks can range from $100 up to thousands of dollars for a do-it-yourself job, according to your move. The size of the truck, driving time, and distance all affect the cost of renting a cargo truck. A local move will likely cost only several hundred dollars, whereas a cross-country move will be considerably more expensive.
4. What is the price of moving boxes?
Moving boxes vary in price depending on their size & style. A number of boxes will be necessary for your home depending on how minimalist or packrat you are. Based on the average cost of a 3-bedroom home, brand-new boxes should cost approximately $450. There is a variety of small, mid-sized, and oversized boxes, in addition to wardrobe boxes & picture boxes.
5. What is the cost of moving supplies?
A moving supply kit includes bubble wrap, packing paper, packing tape, as well as a stretch wrap for protecting furniture against damage. If you live in a 3-bedroom home, you may need to budget another $80 to cover these items.
Newspapers can be used as packing paper and cushioning material, but be sure to protect fragile items. Bubble cushioning material is much more affordable than replacing an item damaged in a move.
6. What is the standard tip for movers?
Generally, movers should receive between 5% to 20% of the overall moving cost as a tip. However, it is not necessary to tip the movers, especially when you’re not satisfied with their service.
7. What is the cost of moving a car?
Shipping a car long-distance can cost between $500 and $1,500. The majority of movers do not offer vehicle transportation services. Look for auto transport companies that specialize in this service.
Bottom line: Know Your Moving Costs
Using DMV MOVERS LLC‘s free moving cost calculator, you can obviously understand how much does a moving company cost for your next move. With this simple and easy-to-use tool, users can estimate the cost of a move based on various factors. So, always hire a licensed and insured moving company in your area.
Best of luck with your move!